Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My "computer equipment friends..."

Well, at least email posting algorithm did work... Because of this, from now
on, most of my posts will be done through email.

To start with, I'd like to introduce the equipments that I use at home
(L.A.), at school (UC Riverside) and places in between (KCCC/BSBC, on the
road, etc.). I personally call them "my friends' because each of them has a
distinct personality.

First, obviously is my laptop - a Toshiba Satelite U400 which I use for
doing heavy browsing and for programming tasks. This one has Intel Core II
Duo P8600 CPU clocked at 2.4 GHz, 3 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard disk and Windows
Vista ultimate 32-bit. I use JAWS for Windows, a screen reader from Freedom
scientific that reads the screen to me in speech.

Next, my BrailleNote Apex BT32 from HumanWare, which is my main PDA that I
use for notetaking, reading and sending and receiving email. It has a
32-cell Braille display, Freescale i.MX31 processor at 532 MHz, 256 MB of
RAM, 8 GB of Flash memory and runs on Windows Embedded CE 6.0. On top of
this OS is KeySoft, the special suite of programs that allows me to write
documents, read books and so forth.

Following this, I have HP iPAQ Glisten, a touchscreen phone from HP which is
used for calls and SMS, as well as testing and running programs designed for
pocket PC. To do these tasks, I use a screen reader called Mobile Speak from
Code Factory which allows me to use my phone via keyboard and touchscreen
input and voice output.

I have other "guys" such as a Windows XP desktop (six years old and still
good for recording), a former Samsung Blackjack phone (which was my phone
before getting the G"listen) and a former Toshiba Satellite laptop which my
mom uses and sometimes used by me for maintenance tasks (such as Disk
cleanup and Defragmenter).

At least I hope you get a picture of what I have - and hopefully, to explain
how these devices (especially my PDA's) work throughout this blog...
// JL

No comments:

Post a Comment